Has anyone heard this name ?It looks like a name of yesteryears Hollywood actress you don't know?A name of a celebrity or a name of an activist who has done great things for human mankind?
Trying to scartch your head and try to recall this name?............She was even bigger then any Hollywood actress or any celebrity from any field of life.....
I know this is a very tuff question to answer.Just for 5 mins, and I mean 5 mins imagine you are blind......just think on it and try to close your eyes for 5 mins when you are completly awake and try to do something you wants to do......well, being blind or acting like a blind for even 5 mins will suffocate you.It is hard to imagine what if we are blind.
Ok now the next thing.Imagine you are deaf as well......means you can't listen when someone speaks.Ok, do this way.Just try to become deaf and stay for 5 mins.Again the same result.You can't remain deaf for 5 mins and more.
Now this is a story , a true story of a Lady named Ms.Helen Keller.She got blind and deaf at the age of just 19 months due to some fever and she lost the hearing and seeing senses.She became blind and deaf.
Now if someone is blind and still not deaf then one is able to atleast listen what someone is speaking and can learn speaking but when someone is deaf and can't listen what someone is speaking it is impossible to learn to speak and Helen Keller did that with the help of her mentor Sullivan.
It is an amazing story of Helen Keller who graduated in Arts in 1904 and just imagine that was a hundred year back when there was no such instrument when one can learn such things.
The film "Black" , which Sanjay Leela Bhansali made with Rani Mukerjee and Amitabh Bachhan was based upon it but for the real story one need to read about Helen Keller Autobiography.
I still keep on getting amazed how a little girl of 6 yrs when introduced to her teacher Mrs Sullivan have reacted and I must give hats off to the teacher for her patience.
I think here is where the woman patience comes in work. The Almighty has put so much patience in woman that if they decide to do something they can achieve anything.The thing is they need to decide and that's it.Once they decide what they wants they can achieve everything they wants to.The basic thing is the power , the strength they possesses needs to be channalised.Sometimes they themsleves find the way ,sometimes some friends inspire them, sometimes something happens in their life and decides to prove herself but it should come out.
Helen Keller was honoured by all over the world for her great achievements and she visited many countries.She travelled India in 1955.
In 1962 , there was a film made under the name "The Miracle Worker" on Helen Keller and that was a classic film undersigned by critics.I am hoping of seeing that movie while ordering from Amazon.It is said that people saw it for 10 times 12 times and still they keep on seeing it.
Well,it is very easy to say ,that what Helen Keller did was out of world but when such things comes on us how we will react no one knows.The best and marvelous part about Helen Kellers life is, she not only learn to speak but learn to speak different languages.
Go and google ...write "Helen Keller" and read whatever you can.
|Helen Keller (1880 - 1968) |
US blind & deaf educator [more author details]
Keller with Anne Sullivan vacationing at Cape Cod in July 1888
Helen Keller sitting holding a magnolia flower, circa 1920
Photos of Helen Keller and Those She Touched
Helen Keller and Alexander Graham Bell
Helen Keller and Mark Twain, circa 1899
Helen Keller with President Eisenhower, circa 1955
Helen Keller meets with Prime Minister Nehru, circa 1953
|Showing quotations 1 to 24 of 24 total|
- Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.
- Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
- College isn't the place to go for ideas.
- Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn whatever state I am in, therin to be content
- I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.
- Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
- Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness.
- Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Many persons have the wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Never bend your head. Hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.
- No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
- One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
- People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
- Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything good in the world.
- Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousand of miles and all the years you have lived.
- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.
- There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his.
- To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
- We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world.
- When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
- When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.
- The highest result of education is tolerance.
- Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all - the apathy of human beings.
- Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.