Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Charts are also ecohing my view........on Sensex targets...

Freinds,
I wrote on Sensex days back that it can touch 28k -30k....and when I read in Monay's Business Standard "The Smart Investor Guide" I felt I am going on right path and understand the fundamentals of our economy well..

Here is the write up that I am pasting for all to read:
Remember Milind Karandikar is an IITian by Qualification and is writing at BS since 2 -3 yrs.

What the charts foretell

Milind Karandikar / New Delhi January 7, 2008



What do technical analysts feel about the market in 2008? Three experts share their views.

Year 2007 was spectacular for equity investors as a majority of stocks, across all classes and representing different sectors, delivered more than healthy returns.

How will 2008 be? To know what the charts indicate, The Smart Investor gets three technical analysts to predict what’s in store for the current year. Read on to know more.

Lage raho Munnabhai
Milind Karandikar
Year 2007 really turned out to be “The Year of the Bull” as I had mentioned in my last article on January 8, 2007 in The Smart Investor. I received numerous mails following the article stating that I am trying to fool investors by giving some unrealistic projections of the BSE Sensex (20,000 by December 2007).

But, the Sensex did hit the target and fooled all those who did not trust my Neowave analysis. The stock markets would go where they would like to irrespective of what you and me wish. I am just an interpreter of the patterns they form.

No doubt that my analysis goes wrong on a number of occasions, especially in the short term, but on the longer term charts, the patterns look less confusing and future projections become more reliable.

Right now, the pattern formed is suggesting that another huge bull run is impending. The technical analysis of this pattern has been discussed in the Technical outlook paragraph.

Even though year 2007 closed with a bang with the Sensex closing above the 20,000 mark, it was a rollercoaster ride for the indices over the year. The Sensex survived two major falls of over 2,000 points in February and July 2007 and managed to close near the all-time high.

Fundamental issues like crude oil prices, US sub-prime crisis, kept on producing ripples in global markets. Many analysts were worried about overstretched valuations at 14,000 level of the Sensex and continue to be worried at 20,000 level. Some are afraid of a bubble forming but, the markets are not ready to listen. If a bubble is going to form, you and me cannot stop it.

On the contrary, majority would not agree to the existence of such a bubble. The reason being a bubble is called a bubble only after it bursts. Everyone wants the bull markets to prevail for ever. But, since every bull phase is succeeded by a bear phase, one has to be very alert about exiting the market.

Technical outlook

The weekly chart of the Sensex shows that after a huge consolidation period (1992-2003) we are in a big bull run for almost last five years now. This rally is a large X-wave, which I had mentioned in my earlier articles also. A zigzag (A) – (B) – (C) pattern is the first part of this up move followed by a connecting pattern (X-wave).

This connecting wave is in the form of a running triangle that began in May 2006 and ended in August 2007. The presence of such a running triangle indicates tremendous upside potential for the Sensex. The calculations based on Neowave theory (By Glenn Neely) suggest that the breakout from such a triangle should be at least 1.618 times the largest leg of the triangle.

This puts the Sensex target at around 27,000 mark. The breakout could be as big as 2.618 times the largest leg, leading to a mind boggling figure of 39,000. Even if we keep aside this over-optimistic view, the target of 27,000 could be achieved and that too most probably in the first half of 2008.
The daily chart shows one directional wave (A) followed by wave (B), which seems to be a diametric pattern. This pattern has seven legs and has a bow-tie shape.

This pattern seems to be almost over and the next wave (C) has began. I expect this wave to be again a directional move. Right now one cannot predict which pattern will finally evolve in the entire rally from the bottom of August 2007.

Investment perspective

The diametric formation mentioned in the last paragraph has appeared on most of the indices viz. Sensex, Nifty, BSE-500, S&P CNX 500, etc. Structurally, the patterns in broader market indices like BSE-500 suggest much stronger up move. It means that the chances are high for mid caps and small caps to outperform large caps in this rally.

But, one should choose fundamentally sound stocks from these sectors that have not somehow participated in the earlier rallies of the Sensex. There are always a lot of manipulated stocks from these sectors, which attract public attention and become good traps to lose money.

The sectors that are looking good right now are banking, steel and power generation. But, I personally feel that finally it would turn out to be a broad based rally in which most of the sectors would participate.

Finally, those who are investing fresh money have to be very cautious in selecting the stocks. And for those who are already holding good stocks for long time, my advice is Lage Raho Munnabhai!

(The author is a Neowave analyst and may be contacted at: milindkarandikar@mtnl.net.in or karandikar.milind@gmail.com)

7 comments:

  1. EXCELLENTE' Rajeevbhai.....Your targets throughout 2007 have been right on, and I know that you are going to be right on for 2008. Also, I sent you email with charts from ICICI's Vivek who has given the target of 28,200 based on his deep-TA. So, this should be another service that provides confirmations to your numbers, AFTER you provided your on this Blog.

    Thanks again, and keep up the great work.

    KKP

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear RAJEEV SIR,

    can u please guide for MRO-TEK as RJ has recently bought 3% stake in last quarter. can u post ur comments

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Goldy,
    If RJ has taken stake in MRO Tek ,then it is ofcourse a buy.When a prominent player in our market who has prove successful in recent times, buys stock and we come to know about it then our work becomes easy as when someone like Rakesh Jhunjhunwala buys some stake, it becomes obvoius that he must have seen the growth and earning...
    But remember one thing and that, they use to gets in early and hence the holding period becomes more....Viz:Vadilal Ind,RJ has taken stkae since May 2005 at around 35 and it is still around 80...hence if you are ready to hold it for obver 2 yrs then only buy as the return you expect may not materialise as soon as you expect...
    I can also say that in mine calls as well,one have to buy for atleast a year...as I use to pick stocks early...
    And don't call me Sir.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how do you feel now??
    Your writing today sounds more like a intellectual trash!

    However, what lessons we should take home?

    Stock Market prediction should be dynamic and flexible to change based on changed market actions. Ability to change the view and position at the right time by reacting to changing technical patterns are the crux of technical analysis.
    Only fools will take pride in a forecast done for long term (Jan 2007) that happened to turn true in 12 months (Dec 2007).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well mr dhruba-n,
    amazing name.....wonder how u came to that name....
    Well,I have tried to write whatever my experiance has told me.I have always said that I have gone wrong horribly in past at mmb and here as well.
    I still remember I gave a horrible call on Gujarat Carbon and others and here it was Allied Computer.It has failed miserably....and I am still feeling sorry for that.Though many stocks has gone down in this market but I am not sure when will Allied Comp will make a come back again.I have lost confidence in this scrip.
    Where as I am still confident that other stocks which I have discussed will make up all the loss and will also give profit in 1-2 yrs time.
    I have always said that BUY for 1-2 yrs.
    Predicting the market is like doning a crown of thorn.
    If all my past records are good gets nullified with a single wrong call.It also goes in life as well.If we have done whole lots good to someone and if we have done only one wrong the relation gets soured.....friend or relative will not look the past record...but will get ready to speak against that person as soon ass he is not obliged....
    That is how is the world....

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello well more than a year has passed since the sensex 28000 mark prediction, now that as we all know never came what is the scenario as of today? Is milind karandikar saying anything these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I don't know what Milind Karnadikar has to say.He use to give his view on Business Standard in Monday supplymentry.
    Not read any of his view since long.
    Well,for me I will only write that I am also no GOD and I have proved wrong for the whole last year just like RJ also went wrong many a times and RJ himself has confessed that in Media.
    Well, but since last couple of months even those who proved correct the whole last year has been on the wrong side this year and that too in a big way.
    I have predicted a Sensex touchung 21k by Dec 2010.....let us see what happens to that and after UPA gettig thumping victory I have also written that we can even cross 21k and touch 30k by Dec 2010.Would like to see how much I prove correct.....
    These are all analysis and anyone can prove wrong and I have also got the right to prove wrong.
    What I see and guess what is coming up, that I use to write here and I can be wrong any time....

    ReplyDelete