Saturday, August 16, 2008

STC...... cultivates jatropha overseas..Rs 271

STC cultivates jatropha overseas
10 july 2008
Our Bureau BANGALORE
THE State Trading Corporation (STC) has started trial cultivation of a bio-engineered, high-yielding variety of jatropha in Surinam in South America and is in talks to grow the crop in Indonesia as part of a move to raise output of the biodiesel feedstock. The export house is also considering tieups with aircraft makers to supply biodiesel derived from jatropha to be blended with jet fuel, CMD Arvind Pandalai said. Trial cultivation has started on about 100 hectares in Surinam and the plantation is expected to eventually cover some 50,000 hectares. STC has spent more than Rs 10 crore to develop new varieties which are rich in oil and grow faster than the conventional types. “We have been able to develop varieties which can be harvested in about eight months against the conventional four years. The bioengineering effort has also ensured that these new varieties have four oil-bearing pods instead of the normal three,” Mr Pandalai said. Besides the focus on biofuels from jatropha, STC is promoting export of many Indian commodities, including tea. The company is looking to increase the network of tea factories and expand its footprint in south India by sourcing from small tea-growers in Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. STC has been buying about 60,000 kg of green tea every day from small growers to be processed at factories identified by the company nearby. The Tofah brand of CTC tea is being exported and has earned revenues of Rs 500 crore so far, he said. Some of the tea is also sold in the domestic market through the Gujarat Civil Supplies Corporation.


My Comments:
STC is a government owned biz .I usually do not follow PSU's as it is government decision sensitive.But seems here the management is working in right direction without any interference from the Babus....
Being a trading co they must also be having vast lands at prime location for warhousing and the above move to grow Jathropa is a master stroke by the Management.Cultivating Jathropa's in USA and Surinam needs a vision and that is what they are showing...... “We have been able to develop varieties which can be harvested in about eight months against the conventional four years....."These needs R&D ....which they have done.....

What other will need 4 years to grow Jathropa Plants, STC will be able to do in 8 months...that is a huge huge advantage.....then its peers...
The management seems very dynamic.....the future growth & Scalability is visible.......

6 comments:

  1. Hey Rajeev,
    Do you have any new information on
    Flex foods or Artson Eng.
    Artson has been on Upper Circuit,
    and Flex foods has given outstanding
    EPS this Quarter Rs 2.75 , (+2 rs dividend)considering their improved margins and the good monsoon, would they be able to carry forward this performance to the following quarters. Would appreciate any advice
    on these counters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi nick,
    Artson seems the Tata Project has already started the due diligence and seems that they have wons orders for the co.
    In Flex Foods thereis no reason I see why it shouldn't repeat the same performance it is showing since last 2-3 quaters.The NPM is constantly outperforming sales figures....
    nick, as I had writtin many times , I do not use to have any inside info.All I do is just track the stocks while seeing the results, reading news etc and come to conclusion.....That's it!Nothing more....Though I see many paid bloggers site use to give calls on inside info.But I am totally FREE from this and do it on my own and hence going wrong chances are also very high..
    Ya but I use to track many stocks and that is where some of my friends get amazed.....they use to tell me, how you are able to track so many stocks...we can do not more then 5 stocks at a time.....Lol!
    Perhaps my experiance is helping me!Though I know there are many like such experinace but not all can do this....Lol..Maybe I do lots of hard work to keep a track on each one…
    Many may not be knowing but I recomended Sandur Manganese to 2-3 friends a year and a half back at Rs 50/-...they didn't buy it.They went on asking me foolish question, what is the earning?Why there is so much big a loss?How is the Manganese Ore market?What can be the profit margin etc etc....they still remember me that I gave them a GEM....
    I also bought 500 at rs 50 but unfortunately I sold as it was in physical form....
    nick my readers at mmb knows me very well.I have given many such calls at mmb.I never boast of any such calls that gave tremendous return in past .I never boast on my success .One would never find me writing of past success baring some exception….and I am confident of India growth and hence feels that we will be back on track and we will also outperform the world market by big margin in next year or so….Just buy what I write here and ones patience will be rewarded….least to say that I take no responsibility for any loss as well.After all I am also a human and to err is human nature…..But I can say with confident that I had and never will try to offlaod my position and let others buy it.
    As I had written many times here and at mmb,I am a very very small player and hence no way there can be any chance to offload my stocks and fix someone else there.I am here to just let small investor earn and learn something from my experience….
    Regards,
    Rajeev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rajeev Ji,

    Are you still tracking Tanfac Industires and Pitti Laminations.

    Please share the updates on these scripts.

    Thanks,
    Sumit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rajeev,
    Your stock picks are always good, whether Artson , Flex, Time Tech all are excellent companies small now, but potential for growth is awesome.If you take a look at Flex,
    the dividend returns were at 10% a short while ago, which beat even a Fixed deposit :).
    I am waiting for the market to fall bit more to do some cherry picking.
    Regards
    Nikhilesh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sumit,
    If you are holding Tanfac or thinking to buy then you can do that.The NP has increased by 167% on y-y base.Yes, I still track it and looks good to me.CC story is yet to unfold here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rajeev Ji,
    Thanks for the update on Tanfac. Please share you views on one of the old dcripts Pitti Laminations as well.

    Thanks,
    Sumit.

    ReplyDelete